I believe it’s officially OK to start roasting chicken again. It’s post labor day, the evenings are cooler and I feel comfortable cranking my oven up to 450 degrees and letting my chicken slowly brown and caramelize in this sweet yet tangy sauce.
The chicken came out juicy with the skin deeply browned by the caramelized honey, set off by the tanginess of the orange and the surprisingly crisp vegetables; considering how long they were roasted. I topped the finished dish with some fresh chives for a vivid green accent and light onion flavor.
Orange Roasted Chicken with Beets and Green Beans
A hearty chicken dish seasoned lightly with garlic and a touch of honey
6 tablespoons olive oil
4 seedless Navel Oranges, 2 sliced and 2 juiced
4 cloves garlic sliced
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
3/4 pounds trimmed green beans
6 large beets (3 purple, 3 yellow), cleaned, peeled and cut into wedges.
4 medium chicken breasts, skin on - bone in
1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Coat bottom of large baking dish with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Spread oil and line the bottom of pan with sliced oranges.
3. Whisk together the rest of the olive oil, orange juice (should be 1/2 cup), honey and kosher salt.
4. Toss green beanes in orange juice mixture and with a pair of tongs remove beans and lay in an even layer over orange slices.
5. Next toss the beets in the orange mixture, remove with tongs and line them around the inside rim of baking dish on top of the green beans.
6. Finally toss the chicken in the orange juice mixture and place skin side up in the center of the baking dish on top of green beans.
7. Drizzle remaining orange mixture over the chicken and then salt and pepper the chicken to taste.
8. Bake for 50 minutes until chicken is golden brown and vegetables are tender to the touch.