Who doesn’t love the classic Lipton’s onion dip with Ruffle potato chips? We’ve all enjoyed this mixture of powdered onion soup perfectly blended with sour cream, at some point in our lives. And you know what? It’s really good.
The trick is caramelizing the onions and shallots. When these ingredients cook for a long time, their natural sugars are intensified. The harshness of the onion disappears and they turn a deep brown morsel loaded with flavor. Add some bright green fresh chives and spinach for an incredibly addicting creation.
Three Onion Dip with Spinach
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lb shallots, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lb baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) container light sour cream
- 3 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a medium skillet and add onions and shallots. Cook for two minutes on a high heat until onions are translucent.
- Reduce heat and continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Onions and shallots should be a rich dark brown color.
- Add spinach and continue to cook until spinach is wilted. Set aside and let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl stir cream cheese, sour cream, salt and peppers. Add onion mixture and chives. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Chill for at least one hour.
- Serve with Ruffle potato chips or chip of choice.
From Food Network:
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Skinny Hot Spinach Dip
Feed Me Phoebe: October Evening Lentil Soup With Spinach
And Love It Too: Grain-Free Spinach Pie
Cooking With Elise: Baby Spinach Salad With Cranberries, Spiced Pecans and a Maple Vinaigrette Virtually Homemade: Three Onion Dip With Spinach
HGTV Gardens: Garden-to-Table: Spinach
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Whole-Wheat Pasta With Spicy Spinach and Peanut Butter Pesto
Thursday Night Dinner: Spinach Ice Cream
Cooking Channel: Fresh Spinach in Indian Recipes
Daily*Dishin: Spinach-Sausage Saute With Pan-Fried Gnocchi
Delicious Lean: Spinach Leaf Roll Ups
Bacon and Souffle: Baby Spinach Pizza With Sopressata and Sriracha
FN Dish: Stuff It With Spinach