I first encountered this unique and utterly delicious pizza at a restaurant called Simple in
San Diego. I was skeptical. Potatoes on pizza worried me. I got the bacon part – salty, smoky meat – perfect!
Upon my first bite I was in love. The creamy mashed potatoes combined perfectly with the chewy, salty cheese in my mouth. It was almost like eating scalloped or twice baked potatoes. The thin, crunchy crust was the perfect vessel to transport this chewy, rich delight. As well, bacon just makes everything better.
Mashed Potato and Bacon Pizza
serves 4 - 6
serves 4 - 6
- 1 16 ounce bag frozen or fresh pizza dough (from grocery or pizzeria)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 slices crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- mashed potatoes - recipe below*
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring dough to room temperature and stretch or roll out dough to desired thickness (if rolling use some extra flour).
- Place on greased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Mix olive oil and garlic salt in a small bowl. Brush desired amount onto pizza crust. Top with cheese, dollops of mashed potato and bacon.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and cheese is bubbling.
- Garnish with chopped Italian parsley.
- 3 russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/3 cup low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and poke potatoes with fork several times.
- Place potatoes in oven and bake for 1 hour.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut in half and scoop out flesh into a medium bowl.
- Add butter, milk and salt. Mix with potato masher or electric beaters until smooth.
Other Comfort Food Pizza's from FN Dish and Food Network: