Craig Claiborne's Flourless Chocolate Mousse Cake
- 1/2 pound (8 squares) unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) sweet butter, cut into cubes
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Grease an 8" or 9" spring form pan with butter.
- Put the chocolate squares and butter in a double boiler (if you don't have a double boiler fit a stainless steel bowl inside a saucepan or stock pot). Keep water at a simmer and stir the chocolate and butter until melted.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer. Mix until the eggs are light and lemon colored.
- Add the chocolate sauce to the egg mixture, stirring to blend thoroughly.
- Beat the whites until stiff. Add half the egg whites to the chocolate mixture and beat. Fold in the remaining whites.
- Pour batter in pan and bake for 1 hour and fifteen minutes. When the cake is done, transfer it to a rack. Let stand for 10 minutes and remove the rim from the spring form pan. Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar and raspberries.