Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese with Apples and Bacon
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 3-4 servings
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 apples, cut in 1/4" dice
- 6 slices center cut bacon
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Grated cheddar for garnish
- In a large saucepan pour in macaroni, milk, 1 tablespoon butter, mustard, nutmeg and salt. Heat on medium and bring milk to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and stir macaroni mixture for 15 to 20 minutes (the milk will start to thicken and be absorbed by the pasta).
- Taste pasta for doneness and stir in cheese and butter until completely combined. Turn off flame and cover and let sit for 5 minutes. The macaroni will soak up any extra liquid and soften a touch more.
- While the macaroni sits cook of your bacon until golden and crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Save about 1 tablespoon of bacon grease and in same pan add apples and rosemary. Cook for about 4 minutes over medium heat until apples are slightly softened. Crumble and add bacon to apple mixture.
- Stir apple mixture into macaroni and cheese. Serve right away and garnish with grated cheddar.