I also love my 16 year old son Jake who discovered this awesome drink at Starbucks. He was passing some time while getting his oil changed and stopped into to get a drink. When I heard about this Chocolate Chai Tea Latte I almost burst at the seams. Chocolatey, spicy, creamy, caffeine, steaming hot goodness in a pretty holiday Starbucks cup?! I was so excited to get this drink on my next visit.
Turns out shopping Sunday, was the perfect day to enjoy this holiday latte. In San Diego, most of the shopping malls are outside (so lucky to live here) and although sunny, there was a chill in the air (that means 65 degrees F in San Diego speak). So after the first two stores, it was time to refuel with a Chocolate Chai Tea Latte. Although the line was significant, there was Christmas music on, coffee aromas swirling in the air and happy people anticipating warm, flavorful drinks. Eva and I shared the latte with a little whipped cream and an extra dash of cinnamon. It didn’t disappoint.
So of course today, I needed to replicate the Chocolate Chai Tea Latte at home. I don’t have an espresso maker, so I use a microwave to heat the milk, which actually does a good job of foaming it. I basically made chocolate chai syrup by adding hot water to chai tea bags and Hershey’s chocolate syrup. Topped with a little whipped cream, I was instantly transported back to my special shopping trip with Eva.
Cook time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 mug
- 3 chai tea bags
- 2 tablespoons Hershey's chocolate syrup
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup low fat milk
- whipped cream and cinnamon to taste
- Add boiling water to tea bags and chocolate syrup in a mug. Mix thoroughly, cover and let steep for 3-5 minutes.
- In another mug, heat milk in microwave on high until it begins to foam - approximately 2 minutes (keep watch so that milk doesn't boil over).
- Slowly poor chai chocolate syrup into milk (you can vary the amount of syrup you use according to taste). Top with whipped cream and a shake of cinnamon.
Check out more Starbuck recipes from Virtually Homemade: