What can I say? This Oatmeal Skillet Cookie with Chocolate Caramel and Marshmallow is heaven in my mouth! This is my first attempt at skillet cookies and they are amazing and easy. Just layer and bake to golden perfection. I really wanted to combine the flavors of marshmallow and caramel in a cookie. Have you ever had a Scotch Kiss from See’s Candy? It is probably my favorite candy of all time – honey marshmallow covered in buttery caramel. And heck, why not just add some semi sweet chocolate in there as well.
One of my goals this year was to make more gluten free desserts to indulge in and provide options for my gluten free readers. Believe it or not, this oatmeal skillet cookie is gluten free. I didn’t even tell my family (they are usually not into my gluten free goodies) and they were devouring all it’s ooey gooey yumminess without noticing. I just substituted in gluten free oats and a gluten free baking mix.
But gluten lovin people don’t despair. This skillet oatmeal cookie can be made with regular flour and oats and is just as delicious. I got the oatmeal cookie recipe base from the blog Half Baked Harvest. Have you seen Tieghan’s blog? It is off the charts. She blogs just about everyday and her creativity and beautiful photography are mind blowing. You must have a look. I also like that she uses coconut oil instead of butter in the recipe. It’s healthier and lends some undertones of coconut flavor.
I then swapped out the gluten, added some quick caramel sauce, mini marshmallows and chocolate chips. When the marshmallow started bubbling up through the cookie, I felt like my life was complete. You can scoop this cookie out warm and top it with some vanilla ice cream or let it cool and cut a cookie wedge for on the go or as an afternoon treat.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 to 25 minutes
Yield: Serves 10 to 12
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oats or regular rolled oats
- 1 cup Glutino Flour Baking Mix or all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (11 ounce) bag caramel bits
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Chocolate chips, marshmallows and caramel sauce for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10 or 12 inch oven proof/iron skillet.
- In a large bowl mix the first eight ingredients with an electric mixer or wooden spoon, until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium saucepan combine caramel bits and milk and heat over medium until caramel has completely melted.
- Press half of the dough evenly onto the bottom of the skillet to create the first layer. Spread marshmallows over the dough and then pour caramel over the marshmallows in an even layer (save two tablespoons to swirl on top of baked cookie). Sprinkle with chocolate chips and then spread the rest of the cookie dough on top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with marshmallows, chocolate chips and saved caramel sauce. If you are cutting into wedges let cool completely.
The Heritage Cook: Meyer Lemon Shortbread Cookies with Meyer Lemon Curd
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: French Palmiers
Weelicious: Homemade Oreo Cookies
Devour: Top 5 Chocolate Cookies
Taste With The Eyes: A Korean Sweet Treat - Hwa Jeon with Honey and Flower Petals
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Cornmeal Thumbprint Cookies with Chocolate Ganache Filling
Red or Green: Chocolate, Almond and Ginger Cookies
Domesticate Me: Healthy Dark Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies with Cherries and Sea Salt
Food for 7 Stages of Life: Rose and Cardamon Nankhatai (Eggless Indian Shortbread Cookies)
Virtually Homemade: Oatmeal Caramel Skillet Cookie with Marshmallows and Chocolate
The Sensitive Epicure: Almond Butter Cookies (Gluten-Free)
FN Dish: Cookie Comfort