These chocolate strawberry cupcakes with vanilla bean cream cheese frosting, will become a quick family favorite.
Memories of the raspberry curd I made about a month ago lingered in my family’s memory and palate. I think I may be turning into a curd obsessed cook, but who can resist this fruity creamy spread with a tart finish? Therefore, the creation of strawberry curd that beautifully compliments these chocolate cupcakes with vanilla bean cream cheese frosting.
There is nothing better than a good cream cheese frosting. Forget cupcakes – I can eat it by the spoonful (hope this doesn’t gross you out too much!). It’s also good by the spoonful with a dollop of strawberry curd on top (too amazing for words). However, the chocolate cupcake can act as the perfect vehicle to get this all in your mouth.
Oh yeah, I am also now obsessed with filling cupcakes. It’s so easy! Why I haven’t done it before is beyond me. Strawberry, chocolate and vanilla all in one bite is Nirvana. It’s a basic flavor combo that never fails.
These cupcakes are fairly easy to make (I used a mix for the cupcakes but you can replace it with your favorite chocolate cake recipe) and are a sweet way to usher in the warm weeks and months to come.
Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe by Liz Hughes, Virtually Homemade
Yields 12 cupcakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 2 cups sliced strawberries, pureed in a food processor or blender
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 large egg yolks, lightly whisked
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla bean with interior seeds scraped out
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Prepare cupcakes according to package directions. Let cool.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine strawberries, butter and sugar. Whisk in eggs yolks and salt and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Put aside and let cool. The curd will thicken as it cools (this can be made a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator).
- In large bowl combine butter and cream cheese. Beat until thoroughly combined. Add the powdered sugar in 1/3 increments. Beat until light and fluffy. Fold in vanilla beans and vanilla extract.
With an apple corer or sharp knife cut an oblong well out of the center of each cupcake. Pour strawberry curd into the well and top with a small piece of cake that was cut out. Spread or pipe buttercream on top when cupcakes are completely cooled. If desired leave small wells in the top of your cupcakes and drizzle in extra curd and top with a fresh strawberry.