With my new gluten free diet I wasn’t able to taste test these Raspberry Almond Pastry Twists, but when a baked good disappears within 24 hours in my house, I consider it a great success! I couldn’t keep my kiddos hands off these. Although I am weening off gluten, my family won't hear of it, so I really wanted to share these pretty pastries.
I first thought these pastry twists would be for breakfast, but really you can just eat them all day; mid afternoon snack with tea or coffee, dessert or late night treat.
Raspberries and almonds are a natural pairing. Linzer Tortes are the perfect example of this taste combination. You can toss raspberries and almonds in cookies, muffins, salads or any darn dish you like. They taste good anywhere!
I heated the raspberry preserves for just a few seconds in the microwave to make it nice and gooey and spreadable. Believe me, before it hit the puff pastry I was dipping my fingers in this raspberry goodness while popping a few almonds – thankfully they are gluten free and there was no stopping me.
These literally take fifteen minutes to make, but look like you slaved over them for hours. These babies go fast, so be sure to grab a twist before they’re gone.
Raspberry Almond Pastry Twists
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes
Yield: 12 twists
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 large egg
- Powder sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a clean and lightly flour surface, roll the puff pastry out into a 12 inch by 12 inch square. Then cut 12 one inch strips. Gently transfer the pastry strips to the lined baking sheet.
- Heat preserves in the microwave for 30 seconds. Take a pastry brush and spread the preserves across the pastry strips. Sprinkle almonds evenly over preserves.
- Take both ends of each strip and twist the pastry. Whisk egg with 1 tablespoon of water and gently brush onto the pastry.
- Bake for 15 to 20 or until pastry is golden brown and raspberry filling is bubbling. Let cool and dust with powdered sugar.