I don't have Celiac's Disease or anything serious like that. I just generally feel better when I eat gluten-free. I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and symptoms of gluten intolerance mimic this extremely annoying condition. So, although I'm not perfect, I have significantly decreased the amount of gluten I ingest. Bagels have been elusive for over a year. For a Jewish New Yorker, that's a long time. However, bagels are probably one of the most "gluteny" foods out there.
My gluten free flour mix is made by King Arthur but you can also make your own gluten-free flour mix. I've heard Sorghum flour is the most like wheat and may produce a more tasty muffin.
Gluten Free Cran-Apple Muffins with Orange Glaze
- 2 cups gluten free flour mix
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried apple, roughly chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl whisk egg and sugar until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly whisk in the butter until combined.
- Slowly add yogurt until combined. Add cranberries and apples.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Line muffin tin and divide batter evenly (I like big muffins so I only ended up with 10!)
- Bake for 20 minutes (25 if they're a little bigger like mine), until muffins are browned lightly and firm on top. Let cool for ten minutes and then drizzle glaze on top.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined.