Summer is winding down and only seven days left until the kiddos go back to school. This is the perfect time to put your outdoor BBQ into full gear and whip up some spicy grilled chicken wings. These crispy, spicy nuggets are gently cooled in your mouth by a creamy summer slaw that perfectly wraps up this wonderful and warm season.
My grilling skills were put to the test this past week while vacationing in Shawnigan Lake on Vancouver Island. At my in laws home our family gathers each year. The pictures below give you an idea of our little slice of heaven.
Anyway, back to grilling. We generally have about 15 for dinner each night so the grill is always smoking and we cook away while enjoying the lake view. Some menu items were a rotisserie cooked pork roast complements of my brother in law, fresh corn charred to perfection and the old stand by's like chicken, hamburger and hot dogs.
Now that we’ve returned to real life, I decided to prepare this favorite spicy grilled chicken wing recipe for my immediate family - to slowly wean them from our vacation high. The creamy summer slaw includes fresh corn cut right off the cob and a tangy mayo mustard dressing. You really can’t go wrong with this delicious duo.
(adapted from She Wears Many Hats)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup chili garlic sauce (such as sriracha)
- 3 - 4 ilbs chicken wings (restaurant style)
- In a large bowl whisk together vinegar, honey and chili sauce. Set aside.
- Heat grill to medium high (350-450 degrees F, 400 is optimal). Place wings on direct heat and grill 15 minutes per side. The skin should be crispy and lightly charred.
- Remove wings from grill and add to bowl the of sauce. Toss wings until each one is coated with sauce.
- Return wings to grill and cook for 10-15 minutes over indirect heat. Serve with slaw.
Creamy Summer Slaw
- 1 head green or Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cobs of fresh corn, sliced from cob
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl. In a large bowl combine cabbage, carrots and corn. Add dressing and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate until ready to use.