Here is a quick meal for your Friday night, and it only has 5 ingredients! With only 5 ingredients this fun Mexican Rice Bowl is off the charts delicious.
The trick to preparing quick dinners with just a few ingredients, is having some good basic prepared sauces and condiments on hand. It removes steps from the cooking process without minimizing flavor.
I don’t know about you but I am generally zonked on Friday night! I’ve been working all week in the kitchen, whether recipe testing or preparing blog dishes, and even food enthusiasts like us need a break. Otherwise, major irritability and burn out sets in. No one likes a cranky Mom, wife or friend – we are suppose to be the glue that holds it all together.
So giving yourself a break is strongly suggested and encouraged. This rice bowl is comprised of white or brown rice, prepared salsa, sour cream, pulled pork (or any cooked meat you have on hand) and fresh cilantro. That’s it!
If you want to jazz it up with a few more ingredients you can add grated cheddar, green onions, shredded lettuce or guacamole. Although the extra ingredients take away the 5 ingredient beauty of this Mexican Rice Bowl, it’s still super easy.
Sit back and enjoy your Friday evening with this simple yet fun meal your family will enjoy.
Mexican Rice Bowl - 5 Ingredient Dinner
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups medium grain white rice
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa (hot or medium)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup, 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 3 cups shredded pulled pork
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan bring 3 cups of salted water to boil. Add rice, stir and turn heat to low. Cover and let rice simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until all water is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, combine salsa, sour cream and 1/4 cup cilantro in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When rice is finished cooking, divide evenly into 4 bowls. Top with shredded meat and salsa sauce. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.