Yes chocolate for breakfast is totally acceptable. I kind of just realized this…duh! Don’t get me wrong; I have been eating chocolate for breakfast for at least the last year, but I guess I didn’t know it was socially acceptable and maybe even good for you. I was basically eating it on the sly. This Chocolate Strawberry Almond Oatmeal is truly my dream come true.
I used cocoa to lend deep chocolaty goodness to the oatmeal. It’s high in anti-oxidants and has no added sugar. Now don’t go all crazy on me – I do add sugar! I just like controlling the type and amount. I chose pure maple syrup to sweeten this chocolate oatmeal. You know, the good stuff. It’s not refined and definitely a healthier form of the sweet stuff.
I also used Bob’s Red Mill gluten free oats because I am REALLY trying to stick to my gluten-free regimen. Although oats don’t naturally contain gluten, they are usually processed and packaged near some form of gluten. Better safe than sorry. I’m so happy when I’m eating yummy whole grain gluten free goodness.
So I’m sure your no stranger to overnight oatmeal. I really like my oatmeal cold so this was the perfect preparation for me. You can definitely eat this oatmeal hot for the winter chills. Just prepare per package directions, stir in ingredients and enjoy. The chocolate chips should get melty and yummy which would be an added benefit.
So yay! Now I know I can eat chocolate for breakfast in public without the guilt. Better late than never.Click Save Recipe to place in your Ziplist Recipe Box
Chocolate Strawberry Almond Overnight Oatmeal
Prep time: 5 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten free - optional)
- 1 cup milk, water or coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries or desired amount
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds or desired amount
- 2 tablespoons mini semi-sweet chocolate chips or desired amount
- In a medium glass bowl mix oats and milk. Microwave for one minute. Whisk in cocoa and maple syrup. Place in refrigerator overnight, uncovered. All of the liquid should be absorbed by morning.
- Scoop out two servings and top with strawberries, almonds and chocolate chips.