This Cheesy Chipotle Broccoli casserole has 5 ingredients and is the perfect dinner for busy weeknights or lazy weekends!
This wonderful dish was truly born out of desperation. This past Sunday night I was incredibly unmotivated. The husband was out of town and I had been busy all week cooking, cooking and, oh yeah cooking. I was tempted to order out or go grab some sushi but to be honest, I was feeling too lazy to pull that off. This rice casserole was simply an empty your refrigerator out kind of dish. It also is one of those beautiful 5 ingredients or less recipes that is so easy.
Anyone that knows me knows that I love rice. Rice and pasta are my go to carbs. I like potatoes, but not the way I crave rice. I have had some tummy problems over the last 25 years and rice is my comforting, stomach soothing food. I love adding some fresh vegetables to my bowl and then some flax oil. Yes I am one of the few who love flax oil. It’s nutty taste is delicious and it’s so healthy; especially since I am not a big fish eater.
But I digress. This cheesy chipotle broccoli casserole is simple, yummy, vegetarian and family friendly (although I have to admit my kids wanted chunks of chicken in it, which can be easily added). I love the subtle smoky flavor of chipotles and they marry so well with the cheese and sour cream, while adding a hint of heat.
This recipes is a keeper and I will probably add chicken the next time around – the kids always win!
PS – Does anyone watch “Walking Dead”? It’s really not my kind of show but I've been oddly addicted since my son started watching it. Although gory, it is so well done and fascinating. I couldn’t sleep after last week’s show and wanted to chat about it. Let me know.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes (rice plus casserole)
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 cups long grain Jasmine rice
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 medium head)
- 4 chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped (you can add some extra adobo sauce for added heat)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blended cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook rice according to package directions and set aside.
2. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
3. In a large skillet add 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil and heat on medium high. Add the broccoli and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes or until broccoli is just tender. Add chipotles, adobo sauce and sour cream and stir until ingredients are thoroughly mixed and heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Add hot rice and stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Put rice mixture into a 9-inch-by-13-inch casserole dish and spread out evenly. Top with cheese.
Put in oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.