This recipe for chicken fried rice has been brewing in my mind for quite awhile. I love fried rice, in an addictive bottomless pit kind of way, and the bonus – it’s so easy to make. I added the element of honey-roasted cashews because it just seemed right. I mean how could sweet and spicy crunchy nuts on top of fragrant rice go wrong?
When Mahatma rice asked me to create a dish using their wonderful products, I finally put this creation into motion. I decided to use the Mahatma Jasmine rice for it’s beautiful aromatic qualities that would add an exotic dimension to this traditional dish.
My kids and I scarfed this down for dinner last night and I begged my son to leave a little behind for my lunch today (so GOOD leftover). It was hard for him not to take those last few bites but I do believe he loves his Momma!
So a few additions to this chicken fried rice that took it a little beyond extraordinary – a drizzle of toasted sesame oil, a scoop of sambal olek (chili garlic paste), fresh cilantro (because pretty much no dish is complete without cilantro in this house) and of course those incredible cashews. Oh yeah and don’t worry, you will most likely have those sweet and bad boys leftover for snacking the next day.
Thank you so much to Mahatma Rice for their inspiration and check out all of their wonderful products here.
Chicken Fried Rice with Honey Ancho Chili Cashew
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes for rice, 10 minutes for cashews
Yield: Serves 4 to 6, 2 cups of cashews
- 1 1/2 cups Mahatma Jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (1/4 inch dice)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sambal olek (chili garlic sauce) or sriracha
- 2 cups cooked chopped boneless chicken breast
- fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
Honey Ancho Chili Cashews:
- 2 cups unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- Cook rice according to package directions and set aside.
- In a medium wok, add oil and heat to medium high. Add carrots, celery and peas and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tamari, sesame oil and samba olek. Cook for 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Reduce flame to medium and stir in the chicken and rice until well combined with the vegetables and sauce. Garnish with cilantro and honey cashews.
- For Honey Ancho Chili Cashews:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a medium bowl combine cashews, honey and ancho chili powder. Pour onto a medium sheet pan sprayed with non stick spray and bake for 10 to 12 minutes are golden brown. Transfer cashews to a sheet of foil and let cool for 15 minutes. Break nuts apart and serve.