I originally posted the recipe about three years ago when I was still using a point and click camera. Ugh, the photos! So scary. Bless my heart, I was trying so hard but yeah, it didn't look good. If you want, have a look at the post.
Essentially, this is a very versatile, healthy and flavorful salad filled with different textures and tons of crunch. The creamy chunks of avocado definitely round out the tart dijon vinaigrette. It's totally appropriate for lunch or dinner and just simply a really satisfying meal.
Chicken and Wild Rice Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes (for rice)
Yield: Serves 6
- 2 cups wild rice mix
- 3 medium chicken breasts, roasted and chopped into bite size pieces
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped into 1/4" pieces
- 3 ounces snow peas cut into thirds
- 1 medium avocado, chopped in 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Cook rice according to package directions and let cool to room temperature. In a large bowl mix together the rice, chicken, green onions, peppers and snow peas.
- In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Drizzle half the dressing over the rice mixture and stir. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Before serving top with avocado and pecans. Drizzle on extra dressing to taste.