Chicken Chili with Cilantro Crema
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pasilla pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt to taste
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup sour cream or Mexican crema
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or heavy stock pot. Saute chicken and onions for 5 minutes until chicken is lightly browned. Add carrots, celery and peppers and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add chili powder, oregano and cumin. Stir to combine.
- Add beans, chicken stock and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low heat for 30 - 40 minutes.
- While cooking put cilantro, sour cream and lime juice in a food processor. Blend until cilantro is completely chopped.
- Serve cilantro cream with chili.